Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Let Your Light So Shine

This past week I have had the opprotunity to think about all of the wonderful people who have been examples to me in my life. I honestly don't think I can descride how grateful I am for each of you and for how you have helped me. Specifically, there are too many of you to name, but in general, you could be summed up as those who "let your light so shine." (Matthew 5:16)



I believe these thoughts started arising as I sat in church on Sunday. For those who aren't familiar with the church, on the first Sunday of every month members of the congregation have the opprotunity to bear our personal testimonies about Jesus Christ, the Gospel, or anything else we believe. The week before, all of the local youth had been out on weeklong summer camps. The young men went on a 50 mile kayaking trip in the ocean, while the young women went to a weeklong camp where they played games, sang songs, hiked, and had spiritual devotionals and testimony meetings. So on this particular sunday, a dozen of the teenagers in the congregation took the opprotunity to express gratitude to the men and women who had voulentered their time to give these youth such memorable experiences. Many of the youth talked about the spirit they felt on their trips, and the change it had on their lives. As I listened to these testimonies, I thought back on all the people who gave their own time to help me as I grew.

I thought of my immediate family, my extended family, and of friends, who were always willing to offer support and encouragement. I thought of my own church and scout leaders and their families, who sacrificed time in order to help us youth learn skills and values to make ourselves better. I thought of school teachers or administrators, who ran programs and gave council that allowed me to further my education throughout high school and college. I thought of the people I have been blessed to know on my mission for just short periods of time, but whose examples have left lasting impressions on me. And most of all, I thought of my Savior, Jesus Christ, who sacrificed everything in order to provide me a way to live with him and our Father again. "Oh it is wonderful that he should care for me, enough to die for me. Oh it is wonderful, wonderful to me." (I Stand All Amazed, Hymn 193, LDS Hymn book)



I am grateful for the opportunity I have to live his gospel, and to hopefully be an example for others that I interact with. I invite us to strive to help others, and to "Let our light so shine before men, that they may see our good works, and glorify our Father which is in heaven." We may not be perfect at it all the time, but I know as we do our best, the Lord will help us be an example and a strength to those whom we may not even realize are watching. I testify that we make more of a difference than we think we do, and I thank those who have done so much good for me.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment