Saturday, August 29, 2015

My Duty to God

 

I remember once when I was probably 7 years old something that still makes our family smile to this day. My mom was at the time involved in Scouting for our church sponsored Scout troop, and I was out with her at an event they were having. I remember I was looking at some small pictures of badges that were a part of cub scouts, and to me I was certain they were a bobcat, a wolf, and a yak! My mom later informed me with a laugh that it was in fact a bear I had been looking at, but I can still remember how excited I was to get the chance to start my scouting 'career' when I was 8 years old. Since that time, I have been blessed with wonderful leaders and mentors to help me along my personal path through Scouting. Throughout my journey of Scouting, I have learned and developed a number of new skills and hobbies. But even more important than the things I have learned to do are the values I have learned to cherish and the morals I have learned to follow.



 
One of Scouting's main desires is "to find the good in every boy and develop it" (Baden Powell, the founder of Scouting). Essential to the scouting movement is a duty and desire to follow God. In fact, Baden Powell said "Their is no religious side to the movement, the whole of it is based on religion. That means on the realization and service of God." In the end, my gratitude is not for Scouting itself, but for the window Scouting provides to allow us to see the true source of light, which is Jesus Christ. As Thomas S. Monson has said "I am pleased to stand firm with an organization that teaches duty to God and country... whose motto is be prepared, and whose slogan is do a good turn daily."


John 11:1–44, Mary of Bethany and others mourn for Lazarus


I echo that the most important thing we can do in this life is to learn to know and follow God and his son Jesus Christ. God is our father, and Jesus Christ our savior. We learn about them as we study the Bible and Book of Mormon, as we pray, and as we seek the good in this life. One of my favorite scriptures says "the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God." (Moroni 7:16) I know as we all do our duty to God, we will find lasting peace and joy. After all, God isn't just important for young boys, he is important for all of us as well.


A white statue of Jesus Christ with arms outstretched, surrounded by a mural of blue sky.


Check our this video all about our duty to God: http://bcove.me/ijl4ntdt


 

No comments:

Post a Comment