Friday, October 16, 2015

It's About Obedience

This last week in sacrament meeting, a member of the ward shared an experience she had back in college with David A Bednar, a former president of Brigham Young University Idaho. She had asked him why the school's dress code banned students from wearing flip flops on campus. She was prepared to fight against what she thought was a ridiculous rule, but she was humbled by what he told her. He said "It's not about flip flops, its about obedience."

This last week during the priesthood session of general conference, President Monson talked about the blessings of simply being obedient to the commandments, even when we don't understand them. In his own words, he said "My message to you tonight is straightforward. It is this: keep the commandments."


The same message that President Monson shared seemed to be one of the themes throughout all of conference. I loved the story Elder Von E. Keech told of the surfers who wished to surf past the impenetrable barrier off the coastline of the beach, until they realized that barrier was the only thing that protected them from the sharks they hadn't previously noticed.
"Like the barrier," he said, "God's commandments can sometimes be difficult to understand...but He who “comprehend[s] all things”2 knows exactly where those dangers lie. He gives us divine direction, through His commands and loving guidance, so that we may avoid the dangers"
Sister Carole M Stephens shared her own experience with her granddaughter who wouldn't buckle her seatbelt, until she realized that the purpose of the seat belt was protection, and the commandment to wear it was because of the love and concern her grandma had for her safety. Our Heavenly Father gives us commandments for the same reasons, and when we follow him, we are showing our faith and love for him.



I have seen many times where keeping the commandments has kept me safe and happy. Likewise, I have also had my fair share of times where I made mistakes, and as a result I paid the price for the choices I mistakenly believed would bring me joy. I testify that commandments are there for our benefit, and no matter how pleasurable something may seem, it is always much safer (and more fun) to obey. I'm grateful for scriptures and for living prophets who give us commandments. I know that if we are obedient, we will receive the promised blessings, and we will be safe.


PS: LDS Youth did a great job with this video, check it out!
https://www.facebook.com/ldsyouth/videos/983777155014525/













No comments:

Post a Comment