Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Saviors on Mount Zion



As missionaries, we are out all day, every day, doing our best to serve others and to teach them about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. We do this on weekends, holidays, birthdays, and every other day inbetween. The only time we do anything different is for 8 hours on Monday. This is our time to go shopping, clean the apartment, do our laundry, and maybe do something fun if we have the time. On top of all this, Monday is the only day we are able to write family and friends. On one particular Monday, I had recieved lots of emails from family members and friends. We were pretty busy that day, so I only had an hour or 2 in which to write everyone. I rushed through the emails as fast as I could, only to find that I had foolishly put of writing my mom, and I only had a couple minutes left. I rushed a quick email off to her, but I knew she would still be disappointed when she recieved it (though she would never show it). Sure enough, that week a letter from my dad showed up in the mailbox. The majority of the letter was just talking about thoughts he had while reading the scriputres that week and encouraing me. But after his signature came the PS, the real reason he had written me.


Fortunately, I had already repented before recieving this "non-reprimanding" letter, and had sent my mother a handwritten card that showed up that Friday back in Utah. I am grateful for this letter though, because it has been a great reminder of all that my mom has done for me and my family. For this reason, I wanted to write a personal shout out to the moms I know, and thank you for everything you do. As Elder Holland said this last general conference, "No love in mortality comes closer to approximating the pure love of Jesus Christ than the selfless love a devoted mother has for her child."

To my friends who are or someday will be moms: 
You are going to do great! God is trusting you with one of his own spirit children whom he loves very much. That is a pretty incredible fact, and it can be overwhelming, but I know you can do it, because you yourselves are also daughters of Heavenly Father. He loves you just as much as he loves your child, and he is going to support you.Thank you for your friendship and your wonderful examples to me.

To mother figures in my life, both on my mission and back home: 
Most of you who fall in this category probably won't even realize how much you have done for me. From everyone who has fed, cared for, and helped me on my mission, to those who taught and helped me through school and early college, to those who taught me in church, you have all played a huge role in my life. Thank you for loving me enough to go out of your way to help me, even though I am not your actual son. Your care has ment so much, I wouldn't be where I am today without you

To my own mom: You are the greatest example of Christlike love, service, and optomism I personally know. Thank you for always living the gospel and being an example to me. Thank you for cheering me on in my hours of sadness or heartache. Thank you for encouraging me, providing for me, and carrying me through life. Thank you for taking on the task of raising me and my siblings. Thanks for the late nights of homework, the extended help in scouts - and the most important job of all - teaching me how to be an honorable diciple of Christ. I love you.

In closing, I love and echo these final words of Elder Holland: "To all mothers in every circumstance, including those who struggle--and all will..."



No comments:

Post a Comment