Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Holy Bible and Book of Mormon Support Each Other

As I was studying my scriptures this morning, I came across 1 Nephi 13 in the Book of Mormon. Early on in the chapter, Nephi talks about how he is seeing the history of the whole world, and as part of that he sees Jesus Christ as well as the Apostles. After that he sees a book, and an angel tells him that the book he sees is the Bible, and that it's purpose is to teach us about Christ and the covenants he wants us to make with him. Then in verses 38 to 40, he tells us how other scriptures, including the Book of Mormon, will come to "establish the truth of [the Bible]...and shall make known unto all kindred's, tongues, and people, that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the World; and that all men must come unto him, or they cannot be saved."

A set of black leather-bound scriptures lying next to a red marking pencil on a gray surface.

I wanted to share this because of the simple fact that I LOVE the scriptures!! Both the Bible and the Book of Mormon mean so much to me! Right before my mission, my parents gave me a little metal tag for my keychain with one of my favorite verses from the Bible on it, Romans 8:28. Another one of my favorite verses comes in 1 Nephi 3:7. Both of these scriptures teach us that Christ gives us the power we need to overcome any obstacle, and are just one example of how the Bible and Book of Mormon support each other.

I feel sad that there is sometimes this "barrier" between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and other Christian churches. By barrier, I mean the lack of understanding that both the Bible AND the Book of Mormon testify of Christ, not just one or the other. They BOTH contain the word of God, and both can build our testimonies. I don't think I could count the number of times on my mission that I have heard the term "Mormon Bible." As our mission President says, "Our Bible is your Bible. We love and revere the Bible, and appreciate the wonderful witness it is of the Savior's mortal ministry. The Book of Mormon is simply another testament of Jesus Christ, one that contains a promise that if we read it with a sincere heart and real intent, that we can come to know of it's truth for ourselves."




I have taken that promise, and have had spiritual experiences confirming the truth of the Book of Mormon to me personally. Along with those experiences, I would like to share one more element of my own testimony in the form of an assignment to you. Oh, first a note about this assignment. You can only participate if you are under the age of 24, and if you have only had 3-4 years of formal schooling. Now with that, here is the assignment:

You must write a book about ancient Tibet. You are allowed no further research than what you already know about ancient Tibet at this current time. This book must be 3,000+ words, and to write it you are allowed the use of only 1 unpaid scribe. You must describe 2 main groups of people, and cover their religion, their politics and government, their geography, their economy, their monetary system, and everything else that you would need to know about their society. It must include 50 chapters about their wars, 20 historical chapters, 70 doctrinal, 50 chapters that contain visions, and 20 chapters about Jesus Christ and his personal ministry among the people. You must make up 280 names. It should include allegories, parables, poetry, and it has to sound like it has been translated from another language. You have to use about 24 different writing styles spread logically throughout the book, as if multiple people wrote over a thousand year period. Archeological research for the next 180 years must support this book. You must have 3 witnesses who are respectable people in the community claim that they saw an angel who showed them the record which the book was translated from, and these 3 can never deny what they have said, even if they leave you and your followers. The book must include a promise that if anyone reads it and asks God in faith, they will receive a witness that it is true, and it will change their lives for the better. Millions will have to try this promise and receive said spiritual answer. You must watch your followers be persecuted and even killed, and you yourself will receive many of these same persecutions. At age 38 you must give your life to protect your testimony of this book. Oh, and you only have 65 days to write.

Sounds like a pretty intimidating task doesn't it? All of these are similar to what Joseph Smith faced when he translated the Book of Mormon. Like I mentioned before, this isn't what proves to me that the Book is indeed a true translation of ancient scripture and not some made up novel, but it is something that has helped to strengthen my faith, and it can be a starting place for all. I testify that the Book of Mormon is God's word. I testify that the Church of Jesus Christ is restored on the earth, the same church we read about in the Bible. I testify of the Bible, and the truth and knowledge we can gain from studying it. I know Jesus is the Christ, and he is my Savior.

1 comment: